Thursday, July 15, 2010

We're Havin' a Baby...by Monday!

Today, and the rest of this week has been a emotional roller coaster in Babyland. Here's a recap (warning-it's a little long):

Saturday: We did some last minute baby shopping. We bought a little bookshelf, lamp, and hamper for his room. As well as a few odds and ends. That night Laura's boyfriend had a party to celebrate the end of his time in the Army. We had a good time. I sat under the tent most of the evening to stay out of the heat.

Sunday: We had our last baby shower (#5) at my parents church. It was very generous of the ladies there to plan the whole thing since we don't go there all that often. It was nice to see some old familiar faces. Baby Shively got some more nice things. I tell you tell boy is way too spoiled!

Monday: I was feeling a little draggy and under the weather. My back hurt a little, which it hasn't for while. I chalked the whole thing up the the busy weekend, my horrible sleep, and the extra 30 pounds I'm carrying around.

Tuesday: By the afternoon I had noticed Baby Shively wasn't moving and squirming like he usually does. I keep trying to feel for little movements all day, ate a snack after lunch, and laid down, but he was just not normal. I went into worry mode and called the doctor's office. They had me come in for a non-stress test. I sat at the doctor's in the recliner hooked up to all of the monitors for a little less than an hour while the nurses faxed my print-out sheet to the doctor on-call at the hospital. He didn't like what he saw, so he sent us to the hospital to continue. Baby Shively had a steady heart rate around 145-150, but it wasn't fluctuating as much as they wanted it to. We stayed at the hospital doing the same routine for about 2 1/2 hours while they were trying to fill me full of sugar to stimulate his movement. I drank at least three sprites, a glass of water, had crackers, a sandwich, and suckers, before the whole process was over. The doctor checked me for dilation (2 1/2 centimeters) and decided by 7:45 his movement had improved enough that I could go home, but he scheduled an ultrasound for the next morning. He pretty much contributed the whole thing to dehydration and said we had done the right thing coming in. So I have been chugging the liquids the past few days!

Wednesday: We went in bright and early for the ultrasound with a "biophysical profile". I hadn't heard of this, but I guess they have all of these areas the baby can "pass" like a test. By this time I was starting to feel some of the movements I was used to feeling. It was very comforting to see his little body (Yes, it is still a boy, Missy) and see his little heart and lungs fully developed. The technician was to send the results to the doctor for our regular appointment today.

Today: We had our weekly appointment with my regular doctor. She went through everything on the ultrasound, and said that since his amniotic fluid was a little low, and his episode on Tuesday she would recommend inducing me on Monday! We were a little surprised, but were glad to know that he will be here hopefully by Monday night! Our minds immediately started spinning about all the things we want to get done before he arrives, but luckily the list is pretty short, and my wonderful husband has been helping tackle the list while I sit on the coach, rest, and hydrate (He's cleaning the bathrooms as I type). She checked me again, and I was still dilated the same as Tuesday, but she also stripped my membranes in hopes that labor might start itself over the weekend. So, if we don't have a baby over the weekend, we go in at 7 AM on Monday to start the process. How exciting and scary at the same time!

2 comments:

Missy!! said...

awwwwwwww!! I'm glad to hear he is still a boy! :) Don't want any of those essential parts to fall off! ;)

I can only imagine how scary that was. I'm glad everything is turning out okay. No more scares... GOT IT?!

Now.. before baby Shively comes.. will you PLEASE post a side view of your belly?! Come on now.. it's been like since spring break!

good luck with everything and I hope Baby Shively is as perfect as possible! Can't wait to see pictures!! :)

Rajean B. said...

Thank God everything was alright. I can only imagine the stress and worry this little episode caused, but that's parenthood for you. You will always be worried about things. Now, I know a little how my parents must have felt when I did "stupid" things growing up :)

Best of luck this weekend. I hope the stripping works for you...my doctor did that with me when I went in to have Reba and it started labor right away! I am saying prayers that you will have a safe, healthy, and fast delivery. I can't wait to hear about Baby's arrival! How very exciting!!! You will do great, and Jacob will be there to help you through it all.

Also, tell Laura's boyfriend thank you for his service, and congratulations and best of luck in his next venture.